Careers at 4P
Join Our Team
Chief Operations Officer
Warrenton, VA Job posted 03/31/2022
The Chief Operations Officer is responsible for strategically leading the management of acquiring, storing and distributing over 17 million pounds of food each year to support our farming community and feed the diverse group of 4P Foods’ customers. Working closely with the CEO and CFO, while leading the operations team, the COO is the driving force behind the critical role of all food and facilities-related aspects of 4P Foods’ growing operation.
The Chief Operations Officer will work with the team to identify and manage the needs of the organization to successfully execute 4P Foods’ operations and capital priorities. Of key importance is the ability to be able to roll-up one’s sleeves, dive-in, and produce results utilizing the existing infrastructure to meet current operations goals, while building a strategic roadmap to support 4P Foods’ expanding footprint. As a growing company, 4P Foods will look to the COO to manage and optimizeboth the B2C and B2B channels, with a focus on unit economics and profitability in each category.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
● Participate in all strategic planning processes and activities, helping to shape and execute the Strategic Plan for 4P Foods. Take ownership of building the logistics infrastructure necessary to support our growth.
● Serve as a member of the Executive team and as such provide leadership in decision-making, vision building and strategic guidance in all areas of 4P Foods but with particular emphasis on operations and logistics across all facilities and infrastructure.
● Work closely with the CFO to develop and manage the departmental budget in the context of 4P Foods overall annual budget; forecast expanding needs with respect to warehousing, transportation, and logistics and their capital and opex requirements; execute a plan to ensure those needs are mettimely, efficiently and cost effectively.
● Coordinate operations and logistics across owned, leased, and partner warehouse facilities and acrossall work forces; optimize employee staffing levels, minimize overtime; review, update, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures for areas of oversight; ensure common SOPs and equitable working conditions and compensation across locations.
● Drive margin improvement through bottom-up process improvement and top-down automation opportunities. Ensure the safety and productivity of all 4P Foods’ warehouse team members.
● Plan and carry out work assignments; coordinate work in and among the two (soon to be three) warehouse teams; communicate policies with hourly team; improve warehouse employees performance by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results, through coaching anddevelopment, and by enforcing employee policies fairly and consistently.
● Implement and support a Safety-First culture with all site employees through training, walkthroughs, and enforcement of food and worker safety requirements throughout all facilities.
● Act as key point person in partnership with Eastern Food Hub Collaborative (and various regional or sub-regional food hub organizations) to enhance and further 4P Foods’ work to build a new regenerative, regional food system.
● Comply with and stay ahead of federal, state, and local food safety, workplace safety, warehousing, material handling, and shipping requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
● Safeguard warehouse operations and contents by establishing and monitoring security procedures and protocols.
● Maintain accurate records and reports including but not limited to: production reports, inventory reports and counts, employee staffing models, fleet utilization, quality and safety reporting, and budget and financial reports
● Lead through influence; ability to prioritize and communicate to staff about key objectives necessary to achieve organizational goals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
● Prior Senior Management operational experience in a food distribution company of regional or national scale.
● Experience and understanding of the systemic barriers that exist within the current industrial food system, including its impacts on climate change and economic disparities amongstmarginalized communities.
● Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, Slack and PowerPoint preferred
● Strong Food Safety background; GMP’s, GAP, Safety and QA methods; Food Safety/HACCP certificate preferred.
● Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results individually and with a team.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
● Maintain a positive attitude and focus in a fast-paced and changing environment to meet tight deadlines.
● Ability to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
● Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
● Ability to work in various temperatures (freezer environment) and properly navigate a production environment.
● Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
● Able to work a flexible schedule/cover various shifts.
This position is : salaried, more than 100k
Volunteer with us
We appreciate that you're here reading this! To operate our food hub and help feed those in need, requires many hands. If you are passionate about our mission and interested in volunteering your time, contact us about upcoming volunteer opportunities.