Careers at 4P
Join Our Team
Fleet and Logistics Manager
Charlottesville, VA and Warrenton, VA Job posted 08/30/2022
The Fleet and Logistics Manager is responsible for:
- Managing and maintaining 4P Food’s vehicle fleet including owned and rented trucks, vans, cars, forklifts and pallet drivers
- Managing and negotiating with all third-party contractors involved in delivery of 4P’s products
- Managing all routing, truck and driver needs the business has
- Maintaining all necessary records for fleet and driver management
- Ensuring budgets are met and costs are as efficient as possible
- Ensuring compliance with all regulations, laws, and company policies with respect to vehicles, drivers, and third-party operators
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Fleet Management and Maintenance
- Model and monitor unit economics of all delivery routes for wholesale and retail divisions, model costs for new routes and determine delivery minimums and volumes to ensure profitability.
- Develop and implement short- and long-term strategies to meet the goals and objectives of fleet operations. This includes acquisition, rentals, maintenance, operational guidelines, driver qualifications, safety training standards, and costs analysis.
- Equip all vehicles with route and video monitoring systems, regularly review system data to evaluate driver performance and identify issues, and use data to investigate incidents involving trucks or drivers.
- Provide all needed information for insurance, keep vehicle and driver lists updated at all times, investigate accidents involving company vehicles; initiate documentation processes for accidents and file and track insurance claims, provide follow through and conflict resolution.
- Evaluate current fleet suppliers and maintenance contracts and develop an improvement plan where necessary.
- Monitor and organize WH maintenance on equipment and buildings
- Ensure DOT Compliance for all vehicles and drivers.
- Understand and interpret all interstate regulations in Mid-Atlantic states and apply them to the 4P Foods’ fleet.
- Keep FMCSA Filings, UCR/MCS 150, up to date.
- Research regulatory requirements for all states where vehicles operate and ensure fleet and drivers are compliant.
- Implement processes to successfully deliver a wide variety of perishable and non-perishable products.
- Develop systems to incorporate and integrate transportation requirements of certain strategic partners.
- Work with warehouse personnel to track and ensure products are transported at appropriate temperatures, all food safety requirements are met, and quality is maintained during transport for perishable items.
- Forecast vehicle requirement for daily and seasonal transportation needs as well as for special projects ensuring the optimal utilization of trucks and drivers
- Work with and evaluate vehicle suppliers (Penske, Ryder, MATRCO, Emerald), ensure contracts with vendors are negotiated in a timely manner and rates are negotiated in the best way possible for 4p Foods.
- Ensure network of warehouses, pick-up and drop off locations is efficient to ensure trucks and drivers are utilized
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for all logistics processes
- Work with leadership and team leads to integrate business activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and collaborate on new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines
- Provide leadership and direction to staff. Manage basic HR functions in the department; including hiring, on-boarding, reviewing, promoting, transferring, and terminating personnel. Assist HR in the investigation and resolution of personnel problems. Recommend future staffing levels
- Willingness to work in Vint Hill Location (Warrenton, VA) and travel regularly to Ivy Location (Charlottesville)
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- An associate degree or high school diploma
- Minimum 2-4 years experience with fleet and driver management
- Experience with last-mile logistics and route planning
- A demonstrable commitment to 4P Foods’ mission and values, passionate about building a just and equitable food system in the United States
- Excellent listening, negotiating, and problem-solving skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, exceptional scheduling, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience tracking and reporting data for various metrics
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with team members.
- Ability to proactively anticipate and solve problems.
- Must work independently, with minimal supervision, while meeting deadlines and other goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel)
- Experience working in food production, processing, aggregation, or distribution is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Maintain a positive attitude and focus in a fast-paced and changing environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Flexible work schedule (which may include nights, weekends, holidays, and long hours) and regular attendance are necessary.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds or more without assistance.
Salary Range: up to $70K* (dependent on experience)
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
Volunteer with 4P Foods
Hey - thanks for your interest in supporting this work!
To operate our food hub and help feed those in need, requires many hands. If you are passionate about our mission and interested in volunteering your time, contact us about upcoming volunteer opportunities.