Careers at 4P
Join Our Team
Charlottesville or Warrenton, VA Job posted 06/15/2021
The Procurement Associate is responsible for:
- Procuring value-added products from producers/distributors for B2B and B2C customers; assisting with the procurement of meat, dairy and produce products as needed
- Ensuring availability of value-added products for the B2B and B2C operations by creating, monitoring, and updating projections based on current and historical sales numbers
- Working with the Procurement Manager to develop a strategy for value-added items to optimize inventory and margins and determine which products should be added or dropped
- Coordinating with Warehouse Operations for delivery schedules, quality control and expectations (seasonal and other) for value-added producers
- Providing feedback to producers/distributors on quality, pack sizes, etc.
The Procurement Associate is an integral part of the 4P Foods Procurement Team. That team will work together to coordinate procurement activities for sale across all 4P channels in order to increase available supply, reduce waste, and increase quality while meeting the needs of our B2B and B2C customers and providing a viable and resilient market for our producers. The Procurement Associate reports to the Procurement Manager.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and execute pricing and contract negotiation strategies, understand the financial impact of all negotiations, coordinate with the Procurement Manager and Team as needed.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate procurement requirements with the Sales Team; monitor overall production plan to meet delivery schedules.
- Manage value-added vendor relationships including weekly email communications, phone calls,
- and other support.
- Communicate as needed with the Sales team regarding incoming product, product issues, vendor updates, and other relevant information.
- Submit Purchase Orders (POs) to vendors, input POs into the accounting system, and assist in reconciling any invoice discrepancies.
- Meet deadlines for pre-order submissions to vendors.
- Communicate daily with the warehouse team regarding inventory management, quality control, vendor delivery schedules and other relevant information.
- Monitor product movement to ensure a variety of seasonal options is available to
- customers at all times (as much as possible) with an emphasis on purchasing from local producers.
- Discuss and negotiate pricing with producers as needed and ensure packing and quality requirements are met.
- Identify and onboard new partners as demands for new products arise.
- Assist with the B Corp Assessment process.
- Support the procurement team with the processing of purchase orders, resolving invoice issues, tracking of inventory, and performing expense analyses. May include other administrative tasks as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Must be 18 years or older.
- An associate degree or high school diploma.
- 1-2 years’ experience with Procurement/Purchasing in food and beverage or other wholesale food purchasing is a plus, but not required.
- A demonstrable commitment to 4P Foods’ mission and values, passionate about building a just and equitable food system in the United States.
- Excellent listening and problem-solving skills.
- Strong negotiation skills are a plus.
- Organized, detail oriented, strong written communication skills, exceptional scheduling, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience tracking and reporting data for various metrics.
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, data analysis, and Google suite, especially Drive, Docs, Calendar, Forms, and Sheets. Experience in or ability to learn inventory management systems and our eCommerce system. Willing to seek out and self-teach technological details.
- Ability to work both independently and in close collaboration with team members.
- Ability to proactively anticipate and solve problems.
- Exceptional ability to build relationships and work with a diverse group.
- Must have a good sense of humor.
- Must work independently, with minimal supervision, while meeting deadlines and other goals.
- Experience working on a farm or working in food production, processing, aggregation, and distribution is a plus.
- Experience in sales, marketing and engaging with buyers.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Maintain a positive attitude and focus in a fast-paced and changing environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Flexible work schedule (which may include nights, weekends, holidays, and long hours) and regular attendance is necessary.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds or more without assistance.
Location: Charlottesville or Warrenton VA
Volunteer with us
We appreciate that you're here reading this! To operate our food hub and help feed those in need, requires many hands. If you are passionate about our mission and interested in volunteering your time, contact us about upcoming volunteer opportunities.